// Thursday, July 31
- David Hendren: Echo’s Drift closing event + sound performance, at MJBriggs, West Hollywood.
The LA artist performs for the closing event of the one man/two space show of paintings and sculptures at MJBriggs and 5 Car Garage.
Closing reception: 7-9pm
- Guan Rong: Relax, at metro pcs, Chinatown.
Series of new chronological paintings by the LA based artist.
Opening reception: 7-10pm
Through Sep 6
- Poltergeist: James Cordas x Zac Tomaszewski, at South of Sunset, Echo Park.
Collaborative exhibition featuring site-specific video installations, ultraviolet liquid painting, sculpture, and experimental wall works situated at the intersection of the perceptual and extra-sensory. The darkened gallery will be transformed into an array of apprehensions evoking the paraphysical.
Opening reception: 8-10pm
Through Aug 24
- Thanks for the Mammaries, at ForYourArt, Mid-City.
LA artist Bettina Hubby presents a group exhibition of boob-themed art, including over 100 artists. Live auction benefiting The Cancer Support Community Benjamin Center.
Opening reception: 7-9pm
Through Aug 17
- NATIVE STRATEGIES: N (enter) S, at LACE, Hollywood.
Closing performances for Native Strategies’ month-long residency.
Closing reception: 7-10pm
Waves of Concerts Future: Telecaves | The Faraday Trippers | Sleepy Cycle, at Echo Chamber, Echo Park.
Sounds from Telecaves, The Faraday Trippers & Sleepy Cycle (Axel Enoc Estrada). Hosted by Grant Capes.
// Friday, Aug 1
- Thema Collective presents
The Edible Whistle, Echo Park.
Three selections from JULIACKS’ global Infinite Whistle film series
with food pairings by Chef Gary Campbell. Free tickets here.
- 75 DOLLAR BILL | THE PARK DETAILS BAND | THEGNAGORIAC, at Human Resources, Chinatown.
Live music performances.
// Saturday, Aug 2
- Dennis DeHart: Concentrate to the Quiet, at SPOT Photo Works, Hollywood.
Connecting conflicts in nature and culture, DeHart’s images weave elements of landscape, portraiture and still life into pristine color photographs. Inaugural exhibition at this new photo gallery, curated by Director, Kathleen Clark.
Opening reception: 6-9pm
Through Sep 16
- The Forgetting of Objects and Tides, at Echo Park Film Center, Echo Park.
Screenings of Daphne Rosenthal’s ‘The Forgetting of Objects,’ a portrayal of in-between time and space and Bertha Aguilar’s ‘Tides,’ a documentary exploring LA’s hidden geography through the live and work sites of three 1930’s artists: Sergei Eisenstein, David Alfaro Siqueiros and Carlos Bulosan.
- Actually Huizenga: Viking Angel, at Night Gallery, DTLA.
Screening and performance of the latest phantasmagoric meta-melodrama art/music/fashion/news/philosophy/lifestyle video project from the LA artist’s self-proclaimed ‘maverick mind and body.’
- British Knights presents MAX D | ANTHONY NAPLES | JAMES FERRARO, at Top40, Highland Park.
Curated by Gene’s Liquor
- Sexperiments: a collection of turned-on shorts, at Cinefamily, West Hollywood.
Doors 9:15pm | Screening 9:45pm
- Heavy Midnites: Flash Gordon, at Cinefamily, West Hollywood.
If you need a reason… just go.
// Sunday, Aug 3
- ExperimentalHalf-Hour 4th Anniversarty X-travaganza, at Made In LA at the Hammer Museum, Westwood.
Happy Birthday Experimental Half-Hour! Celebrating EHH’s 4th anniversary with a 1-hour live taping feat. performances from Rind and Lauren Bousfield; live video synthesis by Sam Newell and Brock Fansler; Interview with the Ghosting.tv crew. Tune-in IRL or online at Kchung.tv
- Spirits in the Material World?, at Hiatus, DTLA.
Does spirituality exist in the art world? If so, what does it look like? Group show feat. Shiva Aliabadi, Virginia Katz, Aragna Ker, Zach Kleyn, Gil Kuno, Constance Mallinson, Dan Taulapapa McMullin, Gina Stepaniuk.
Opening reception: 4-8pm
- Liam Mooney presents…Forget-me-not: Music of Balloons and Fiberglass, at the wulf, DTLA.
Final event of the season feat. Daniel Corral, Scott Cazan, Jack Doutt, Christine Tavolacci, Claire Chenette, David Kendall, Stephanie Smith, James Klopfleisch, Todd Lerew, Mari, Morgan Gerstmar, Archie Carey, Saul Alpert-Abrams, Orin Hildestad.
Closing performances: 8pm
// Monday, Aug 4
- K-Hole, at Top40, Highland Park.
A night of kinetic activation with performances by Brian Getnick, Geneviève Belleveau, Jil Stein, Jos McKain.
Doors 8pm | Performances 9pm
- Ex im Ot #15: Banetoriko, Brent Mitzner,Vehicle Reversing Systems, Jeremy Kennedy, at pehrspace, Glendale.
// Wednesday, Aug 6
- EARTHMASTERS + GX JUPITTER-LARSEN + JOSEPH HAMMER + G.S. SULTAN, at Human Resources, Chinatown.
Sounds from GX Jupitter-Larsen, Joseph Hammer, EarthMasters, & G.S. Sultan.
Hosted by Grant Capes.
- Sarah McMenimenL EXOcise, at Commonwealth & Council, Koreatown.
Influenced by scientific and ritualistic lexicons, McMenimen presents three videos that convert the space into a laboratory for carrying out procedures engaged in cycles of transformation.
Through Aug 2
- Openness and Clarity: Color Field Works from the 1960s and 1970s, at Honor Fraser, Culver City.
Group show feat. Josef Albers, Anthony Caro, Helen Frankenthaler, Morris Louis, Robert Motherwell, Kenneth Noland, Jules Olitski, and Frank Stella.
Through Aug 2
Never Cargo Terminal…, at Smart Objects, Echo Park.
New works by Kareem Lotfy, Simone C. Niquille and Adriana Ramić. Curated by Lucy Chinen.
Through Aug 8
- Animal Charm, at China Art Objects, Culver City.
First solo show feat. object-and-projection works born from the collaboration of Richard Bott and Jim Fetterley.
Through Aug 9
*Subscribe to our blog to receive an e-mail when new #whoa posts. Drop us a line to share your event.