News | 2014
- Save-the-date: 8pm-12am Thursday, Sep 25. WOAH x Werkärtz x Experimental Half Hour host BYOB (Bring Your Own Beamer) – LA at Werkärtz in DTLA. Live performances x projections archived, streamed, & synthesized by Experimental Half Hour. View the FB event. RSVP here. Stay-tuned for episodes to watch the event worldwide…
- WOAH IRL is guest Art Editor for issue no.7 of the concept-based art and design quarterly, The Work Magazine. Focusing on collaboration, the forthcoming issue will be available in print come late 2014. Until then, stay-up via The Work’s blog.
- In-the-works event: WOAH collaborates with Werkärtz to present a one-night video showcase. If you’re an LA-based video or projection artist … contact us with links to your work. Details TBA…
- Got kids? Got them all summer long? If you’re a Houstonian, check-out the summer classes and events available at KVPAC West Oaks. Visit the West Oaks Art House website for the Summer Calendar and sign yours up today!
- Looking for info, technology, and solutions to make your projects happen? Become a GYST subscriber! Sign-up for the GYST list for artist opportunities and tips servicing to grow and sustain your career. A company by artists for artists, catch mention of the WOAH Show on GYST Radio here.
- Catch our friends Experimental Half-Hour as they bring a roster of music acts to you via broadcast at Deserted At The Palms on Sat, May 17. Catch our past collaborator artist, musician, and host to thank for this magical day, Daiana Feuer as Bloody Death Skull. Set times here. Plus, see WOAH IRL (Sharsten) as we pop-up to project a new video under the desert stars.
- Get psychedelic with us as we collaborate with eyewear purveyor Future Eyes at the Juxtapoz Psychedelic Book Release Party & Art Exhibition at The Well in DTLA. Traverse an installation by Future Eyes and a WOAH-ed video 7pm-12am Sat., Apr 26. Excerpt of the video Afterlife here.
- Open call to artists for desert dreams! What happens when you give artists 5 acres of the Wonder Valley landscape to play with? The possibilities are ∞ … Submit your visions for the one-day music fest Deserted At The Palms.
- As part of the projects WOAH oversees under our Houston initiative, West Oaks Art House, we are proud to host Making A Mark at the KVPAC West Oaks gallery. An exhibition of art by children touched by cancer and blood disorders, join us for the gallery opening 7-9pm Fri, Apr 17. Check the Houston Chronicle mention here for details on this signature outreach program presented by KVPAC, the Periwinkle Foundation, and Tradition Bank.
- First half-hour series of GYST Radio with Experimental Half-Hour! Newly relocated to LA, excited to welcome Eva and Brock, cofounders of EHH: a platform connecting experimental artists and musicians through unique broadcast programs. Listen here.
- The WOAH Show on GYST Radio. An extension of GYST Radio, this podcast series hosts conversations with local purveyors working with electronic arts and new media. More WOAH WAVE broadcasting live soon…
- Curated by Jay Gambit (Crowhurst) Try To Forget is a group show focusing on the effects the internet and technology has on youth, society and innocence. Save-the-date: Try To Forget: A Group Show Opening Reception: 8-11PM, Saturday, 03.08.14 at the Rat Factory Gallery, Hollywood.
- WOAH curates the latest art happenings about town for the weekly Restless Nites blasts. Restless Nites is a tightly-curated list aimed at exposing the best of what LA has to offer—underground and above— to a wider audience of music heads, art lovers, and fashionistas. Opt-in and submit events at restlessnites.com. Stay updated for give-aways and more via the Restless Nites Facebook Page.
- As part of the projects we help to facilitate through our Houston affiliate, West Oaks Art House, happily announcing the reopening of the HIP Pop-Up at West Oaks Mall from 02.01 through 03.31.14!
- The HIP Pop-Up featured in the February issue of Ciao Bella! magazine. Learn more about the incubator and the prolific career of Founder and acclaimed designer, Toni Whitaker, in the online issue here.
- Starting this month, programs serviced through West Oaks Art House— the HIP Pop-Up and KVPAC— introduce free, donation-based classes and workshops relative to art and fashion. In Houston? Check our calendar for the latest schedule updates.
- WOAH joins curator and Crowhurst front man, Jay Gambit to present Try To Forget: A Group Show and net artist apocalypse #IRL of digital, video, installation, and sound works. Featured live performances incl: Bastard Noise+Witches Of Malibu, Crowhurst, Hive Mind, Endometrium Cuntplow, Circuit Rider and more. Save-the-date: Try To Forget Opening Reception: 8PM-11PM, Saturday, 03.08.14 at the Rat Factory Gallery, Hollywood.
2013 // December
- Announcing the launch of the book project: Satellites and Socialists: On the Fringe of Houston. Edited by Sasha Dela, Founder of Skydive Art Space, and published by Temporary Art Review, check-out WOAH’s contribution to this collaborative text tracing innovative art spaces and initiatives re-defining Houston’s creative landscape. Save-the-date: available this December www.theskydive.org
- The HIP Pop-Up shop pops-up at West Oaks Mall, facilitated in part with our Houston initiative West Oaks Art House. Under Founder and veteran designer Toni Whitaker’s curation, the Houston Incubator Project (HIP) offers participating designers opportunity to showcase collections at no-cost and test the ready-to-wear market. Save-the-date and shop-til-you-drop: HIP Pop-Up at West Oaks Mall, Houston’s first retail store exclusive to emerging designers, open thru 12.31.13. View all upcoming holiday programs at www.westoaksarthouse.org
- WOAH’s Houston project, West Oaks Art House proudly announces the opening of the HIP Pop-Up store, Houston’s first retail store dedicated to showcasing emerging fashion designers under the innovative conception of the Houston Incubator Project (HIP). Save-the-date: The Hip Pop-Up‘s GRAND OPENING is Black Friday, 11.29.13 at West Oaks Mall. For holiday programs, visit www.westoaksarthouse.org
- Spring Forecast: Many new WOAH collaborations for out-of-the-box projects are set to reach fruition in 2014. Among those we are truly WOAH-ed over by are collaborations with Future Eyes, Kara Tome of ArtSite, FruitFlyLife, and VCR. But … it’s still Fall … more WOAH TBA!
- Did you catch WOAH on GYST Radio? We talked to host Kara Tome on what makes WOAH go! Listen to the podcast here!
- WOAH is excited to be a part of the growing Pop-Up Research Station headed by Phantom Galleries Founding Director, Liza Simone. For more on the Pop-Up Research Station, listen-in to the GYST podcast series.
- WOAH and VCR present sonic soundscapes and interactive visuals in a former pedestrian passageway at Tunnel Vision. Don’t miss LA’s first audiovisual event set in a Cypress Park underground tunnel. Save-the-date: 6PM-11PM Saturday, 10.12.13 at Antigua Coffee House. RSVP here.
- Catch LURK visually infiltrate LA’s historic Belasco Theater at the debut of the new monthly soiree JUST. Save-the-date: 9:30PM-3:30AM Saturday, 10.05.13 at The Belasco. RSVP here.
- Open-call for audio[and]visual works for our next collaboration with VCR for the underground tunnel event Tunnel Vision, set as the next installment of the Cypress Village Tunnel Art Walk. Call for all sensory stimulating, sonically enhancing, visually intoxicating work thru Monday, September 23rd. Details here. Save-the-date: 6PM-11PM Saturday, 10.12.13 at Antigua Coffee House
- WOAH spreads the word on the launch of LURK, the multi-media visual duo lighting-up the dark and the internet for various venues and projects this month and beyond. LURK online at www.lurking.us
- In collaboration with INSTALL: WeHo + Phyllis Navidad + MKL Gallery + FruitFlyLife, we proudly present a live performance of The Grey Ones by illusory trio WIFE at LA’s Downtown Independent theater. Featuring a boutique from one-of-a-kind pop-up retailer VCR from 7PM. Save-the-date: Thursday, 10.22.13, Reception 7PM // Performance 9PM. Purchase tickets here.
- WOAH and West Oaks Art House in YourHoustonNews. Read the article here.
- West Oaks Art House celebrates KVPAC’s newly added arts classes and programs throughout August. View KVPAC’s complete list of Summer and Fall classes and register here. Save-the-date: KVPAC‘s GRAND OPENING Saturday, 08.10.13 9:30AM to 3:30PM
- Collaboration with VCR x FUTRA at Angel City Brewery in downtown LA for a day-to-night event uniting art, commerce, music and inspiring heightened states of being. Save-the-date: Saturday, 07.27.13 1PM to 12AM
- Join us for Future Eyes first group exhibition in the Fotoshow series at downtown’s newest alterna-arts venue, The LA Fort. Please RSVP here (required for address). Save-the-date: Saturday, 06.22.13 at 8PM
- As of June 1st our 7,000 sq ft West Oaks Art House space at West Oaks Mall in Houston, Texas will be a secondary location for Katy Visual & Performing Arts Center (KVPAC). Setting-up shop this summer, KVPAC will utilize the entire space as an extension for housing all current arts programs at adjacent locations in Katy. In addition to the visual, performing, and pre-K classes KVPAC operates throughout the year, the West Oaks location will host exhibition, live performances, and outreach programs.
- Heart of Darkness | Ball of Shadows at Think Tank Gallery. An evening of primal environments in honor of online literary platform Whole Beast Rag‘s CHTHONIC issue. Save-the-date: Saturday, June 1st at 8PM
- West Oaks Art House invites an open call for artist submissions for it’s new 7,000 square ft. space at the West Oaks Mall in Houston, Texas.
2012 // December
- WOAH at Mulholland Dérive with “Immersion Pyramid” by Mookyung Sohn and video projections by Nu Speed (aka Vitus Hearn) at Los Angeles Road Concerts, Mulholland Dérive.
- WOAH is a newly sponsored project of Fractured Atlas. Make a secure tax-deductible donation to WOAH donate now!
- WOAH in Satellites and Socialists: On the Fringe of Houston Arts, a forthcoming publication by Skydive in conjunction with Temporary Art Review. Available December 2013.