// Thursday, Sep 18
- Multitude Room— Reclaimed Water by Devon Tsuno, at Art Merge Lab, West Hollywood.
Inaugural Multitude Room event, a project devoted to exploratory artist installations. This series feat Tsuno’s wallpaper work based on patterns of streams & currents, alongside risograph prints and paintings.
opening reception 5-8:30pm
- Cities on Screens: Film Works by Gordon Matta-Clark, at The Mistake Room, DTLA.
Second evening screening of Gordon Matta-Clark’s films marking the launch of Moments—a curatorial initiative focused on historical presentations & new commissions of film, sound, digital, literary & body-based projects.
- Gems from the Archives, at Echo Park Film Center, Echo Park.
Film collector Russell Harnden hosts the series devoted to obscure, outdated, & orphaned films, screening gems from his personal collection of cartoons & film ephemera.
- Cake & Eat It: Strike Halls, at Human Resources, Chinatown.
Sculpture, text, performance & organizing strategies dominate C&EI’s installation for their HRLA residency— a composite of their ongoing engagement with ‘artistic & anarchist attempts to collectivize commercial, domestic, & public space.’ RSVP
opening performance x discussion 8pm-12am
- Gob Squad: Western Society, at Redcat, DTLA.
Combining performance with impromptu video, the British-German ensemble sublimates the banality of the every day (specifically LA life), into a highly saturated, spectacle-rich multimedia experience.
8:30pm | Sep 17-20
// Friday, Sep 19
- In Search of Turrell, at JAUS, Santa Monica.
Group exhibition exploring the Dutch seacoast through the eyes of 11 artists, commencing in the dunes of Scheveningen & culminating in Kijkduin at James Turrell’s land artwork Celestial Vault.
opening reception 6:30-9:30pm
- Insert Blanc Press General Projects Presents, at 2806 1/2 Lincoln Park Ave, Lincoln Heights.
Reading with Kim Calder, David Hadbawnik, Morani Kornberg-Weiss, Michael Smoler.
- Jos McKain: More Pics Bro-The Grindr Ballet, at Highways Performance Space, Santa Monica.
Ballet conceptualized around GPS applications allowing the ‘hunt’ for sexual transaction. Through images, sounds, & performance, McKain conceives ‘ritual structures to analyze the relationship between abstraction & reality.’ Info | tickets.
8:30pm | Sep 19-20
// Saturday, Sep 20
- Analog Video Art Workshop, at Echo Park Film Center, Echo Park.
Video art workshop serving historical examples alongside technological experiments & techniques— including feedback, keying & colorization, manipulation of found footage & degradation of images. Space limited, RSVP.
- Jennifer Boysen: Trans-mutes, at Cherry + Martin, Culver City.
New monochromatic paintings & ‘meditative works’ by the multimedia artist.
opening reception 4-6pm
- Victory Tischler-Blue: Of Beauty and Ruin, at Spot Photo Works, Hollywood.
Formerly of the 70’s all-female rockers The Runaways, Tischler-Blue premiers new landscape photos that trace the line between life and ruin.
opening reception 6-9pm
- Oliver Payne: Chill Out, at 356 S Mission, Boyle Heights.
Oliver Payne’s performance x sounds by the KLF.
doors 6pm | performance 7pm
- Young Joon Kwak: Mother Spill, at Commonwealth and Council.
opening reception 8-11pm
- Experimental Half-Hour presents: Lossless Summit, at dA Center for the Arts, Pomona.
Experimental music showcase recorded for TV broadcast with live video synthesis presented in front of a studio audience. Feat: Pod Blotz (Suzy Poling), Eva Aguila, Leah P., Nephila, Telecaves, VRS, Unica, Banetoriko.
- Cool World x Cake & Eat It: Red Party- A Benefit for Copwatch Activist Network, at Human Resources, Chinatown.
Red themed [so, you better show-up in red] all nighter with Bedroom Witch, Lisa McNeely, Jeffzilla, Alex Black, Periodbomb. RSVP
// Sunday, Sep 21
- Evelina Domnitch x Dmitry Gelfand: Quantum Sensitivity, at Pasadena Arts Council, Pasadena.
In conversation with the duo discussing their immersive works engaging with the present & perception. RSVP
// Tuesday, Sep 23
- Roya Falahi: Hoy Space at Vincent Price Art Museum, Monterey Park.
Solo exhibition of the LA artist known for her ambiguous large-format photos synthesizing portraiture with narrative ‘tableaux’ compositions.
opening reception 6-8pm
// Wednesday, Sep 24
- Mount Analog presents: MIRA Label Showcase, at Complex, Glendale.
Missed Nuit Noire IX Saturday? Mount Analog serves it live again this week with Covered In Sand (Shifted), Silent Servant, Prostitutes, Encapsulate. Art installation & video by Juan Mendez.
// Thursday, Sep 25 – Be Here.
- BYOB (Bring Your Own Beamer) – LA, at Werkartz, DTLA.
WOAH x Experimental Half-Hour x Shelley Holcomb / Werkartz present a one-night showcase of LA video artists, animators, & audio frequency purveyors as the latest local edition of the worldwide series BYOB. RSVP (please).
- Steve McQueen: Drumroll, at MOCA Pacific Design Center, West Hollywood.
Works by the British artist & Oscar-winning filmmaker feat. the 1998 video installation Drumroll as it’s centerpiece.
Through Sep 21
- The Meme Machine, at Agency Contemporary Art, Hollywood.
Group show feat. Veronique d’Entremont, Luis Gispert, Abdul Mazid, & Rimas K Simaitis Spinella.
Through Sep 27
- Trains, at Night Gallery, DTLA.
Works by Marcel Alcala, Annette Kelm, Sarah Conaway, Araki Nobuyoshi, Thea Djordjadze, Jeff Ono, Erik Frydenborg, Melanie Schiff, Piero Golia, Augustus Thompson, Richard Hawkins, and Brenna Youngblood. Curated by Sterling Ruby.
Through Sep 27
—Follow us to receive an email when Weekly WOAH posts. Drop us a line to share your event.