// Thursday, Aug 7
- Potential Bodies, at the space, Culver City.
Works from 14 artists at the intersection between aesthetic & anti-aesthetic practices. Curated by Allison Peck.
Opening reception: 6-9pm
Through Aug 15
- No Parents, No Rules, at Machine Project, Echo Park.
Night of semi-sanctioned pandemonium through performances & INTERNactive entertainment.
- How to Create Audio Visual Art, at Sonos Studios145 N La Brea Ave, Hancock Park.
Artists of UCLA’s Design Media Arts showcase audio-visual softwares with a live performance by Deadelus. During the Algo-Rhythms show up through Aug 19.
- Gracie Devito, at The Mountain Bar at Tif Sigfrids, Hollywood.
Performance feat: Shagha Ariannia, Colin Blodorn, Damien Bray, Jake DeVito, Zander Eckhouse, Joe Fidler, Jessie Franks, Julia Leonard, Heidi Perlman, Rhea Perlman, Tif Sigfrids, Sam Sugarman
- Unincorporated Trax presents: Silent Servant, Nathan Harrington, Esteban Adame, at Cities, East LA.
If you wanna dance….
// Friday, Aug 8
- Amanny Ahmad: Perpetual Motion, at Slow Culture, Highland Park.
A cross-disciplinary artist, this exhibition showcases new photographs, paintings and a site specific installation.
Opening reception: 7-10pm
Through Aug 31
- Draftpunk, at Autonomie, Mid-City.
Group show of contemporary drawing feat: Bridget Beck, Daniela Campins, Mark Dutcher, Rema Ghuloum, Jane Hugentober, Kiel Johnson, Jason Manely, Nadege Monchera Baer, Ali Schmeltz, Marie Thibeault, Dorian Wood. Curated by Kio Griffith.
Opening reception: 8-10pm
- Sound Sanctuary: Weekend of Healing, at TOP40 HQ, Highland Park.
Weekend of consciousness expansion with guided meditations, sound baths, sacred sadism, herbal magic, tarot, & … from LA’s best healing arts practitioners. Feat. Diva Dompe, Future Eyes, & more. Details here.
- Sean Carnage & Kyle Mabson present…, at pehrspace, Echo Park.
// Saturday, Aug 9
- KChung TV with Experimental Half-Hour at Made In LA, at the Hammer, Westwood.
Produced through EHH, KChung TV broadcasts live before audiences with episodes streamed & archived online at kchung.tv. This episode feat Jonathan Pierce, Erin Weber and Mark Rodriquez, Andrew Choate, Lewis M., & Kristy Baltezore.
- Gridscape, at Space 15 Twenty, Hollywood.
New works by Ben Medansky & Bradley Duncan explore dichotomies crucial to our manipulated local terrain: grids created by architectural structures and flora-filled desert landscapes.
Opening Reception 6-9pm
- [M&A] LA Fort Presents: Daedelus (DJ set), Lawrence Lindell, Matt McGuire and Will Walden (StaG), at Materials & Applications, Silver Lake.
A VIS-Á-VIS performance series with a night of experimental & electronic music.
- Jenny Yurshansky: Blacklisted: A Planted Allegory (Detention), at Adjunct Positions, Highland Park.
Works from the artist’s larger umbrella project, a deeply researched, multi-modal project investigating the distinction between native vs. invasive species as determined by California Invasive Species Advisory Committee (CISAC).
Opening Reception: 7-9pm
Through Aug 31
- Audrey Woolen + Cali Thornhill DeWitt: Now Open 24 Hours, at Human Resources, Chinatown.
// Sunday, Aug 10
- soundShoppe, at Center for the Arts, Eagle Rock.
Monthly FREE unstructured noise jam for experimental musicians & sound artists.
- VIA Publication Issue 03 Release Party, at the Ace Hotel, DTLA.
Feat. art & articles from Peter Bo Rappmund, Adam R. Levine, Sam Davis, neverhitsend, Erik Benjamins, Emily Anne Kuriyama, Lauren Everett, Christine Wang, Kim Zsebe, Ally Hasche, Maura Lucking, Lowell Heflin, Andrew Veeder, Sandra Burciaga, Jordan Pedersen, Moses Sumney, & Heather Cleary. Details here.
// Tuesday, Aug 12
- Show & Tell w/ Larry Flynt, at Cinefamily, West Hollywood.
Yes you read this right… Larry Flynt (!) presents confrontational news broadcasts, talk show clips, explicit excerpts & more.
// Wednesday, Aug 13
- Lost & Found Film Club: ZANY MISCELLANY 2, at Cinefamily, West Hollywood.
16mm safari of astonishingly weird shorts from estate sales, auctions, schools, libraries and beyond incl. Isaac Asimov’s The Ugly Little Boy.
10:45pm | Tickets
- Animal Charm, at China Art Objects, Culver City.
First solo show feat. object-and-projection works born from the collaboration of Richard Bott and Jim Fetterley.
Through Aug 9
- Single Wing Turquoise Bird Collective and Individual Works, at Young Projects at the Pacific Design Center, West Hollywood.
New & archived works from the video & light collective set in an immersive installation with psychedelic imagery & ethereal sounds.
Through Aug 9
Gina Osterloh: PRESS ERASE OUTLINE SLICE STRIKE MAKE AN X PRICK!, at François Ghebaly, DTLA.
The artist presents a series of works for the camera & photographic frame through the lens of a set of applied instructions.
Through Aug 16
- Ideal Territory, at Cirrus Gallery, DTLA.
Group show of works obliquely considering ‘territory’ itself—as domain, history, narrative, and site of comparison. Curated by Elan Greenwald.
Through Aug 16