// Thursday, Oct 30
- ALONE [an existential haunting], Secret Location, DTLA.
A fully immersive haunted house! A site-specific & artistic exploration of fear, loneliness & self preservation.
open now thru Nov 1
- The Dirty Furnace: Metal Works by Metal Workers, at SOSM Project Space, DTLA / East LA.
New works by Andrew Sexton, Patrick Rees, Ruben Vincent & Andrew Schleinkofer.
opening reception 7pm
- Out There Doing It, (G)host Landscapes, Neutra VDL Research House, Silverlake.
Part of Host: Natural Histories for Los Angeles, a series exploring the multivalent meaning of ‘host’ though spectacle, parasitic opportunism, & domestic landscapes. Tonight OTDI presents artifacts of haunted, lost, uncovered, or dead landscapes.
- Sandra de la Loza: To Oblivion…a prelude..films, at Echo Park Film Center, Echo Park.
Exploring displacement through oral history, archival research, field recordings & site-specific interventions, LA AIR’s artist-in-residence Sandra de la Loza screens her experimental & seminal films made during the 4-week program.
// Friday, Oct 31
- Day Of The Dead Seance, Secret Location.
White witch Maja D’Aoust & medium Aedan MacDonnell host an evening for you to connect with the beyond IRL.
RSVP (limited space x location map)
- Steve Kado x Keith Rocka Knittel: Works On Paper, at metro pcs, Chinatown.
Exhibition closing & happening for Steve Kado & Keith Rocka Knittel’s collaboration. Central to the show is the duo’s larger work, 1992 TOYOTA COROLLA (BLACK), a ‘stand-in’ for their ‘totemic relationships to the Toyota product line’ & continual process in performance, sculpture, video, photography, sound, painting, & print.
closing soiree 6:30pm
thru Nov 1
- Halloween Party: Childhood Haunts x Satan’s Family Arcade, at Cinefamily, West Hollywood.
Video collision of ‘hazy, freaky-deaky memories’ of pivotal childhood haunts. With midnight ghost story performance by Chicago artist Lyra Hill (Brain Frame), unseen terrifying shorts from Fox’s ADHD, a live dronescape from Telecaves, & an Oculus Rift lounge upstairs: Satan’s Family Arcade! Virtual reality experience hosted by Glitch City, with works by Arcane Kids, Buffalo Vision, Campbell Logan, cyborgDino, Kate Parsons, & XPTND.
// Saturday, Nov 1
- Dwyer Kilcollin: The View, at Ernest E. Debs Regional Park.
An exhibition out-of-the-box — on a hillside overlooking the easternmost edge of LA— the artist’s solo show interprets the landscape beyond through algorithmically derived image-shapes taking form as a series of relief sculptures. At this off-site location for 3 days only, before moving to M+B (thru Dec 6).
opening reception x picnic 2-5pm
11am-5pm thru Nov 3
- House of Modern Horrors, at 1431 Armacost Ave 90025, Santa Monica.
A ‘new face of horror,’ this immersive exhibition by Alex Miller is comprised of every day frights designed to make you think twice about daily life. Comedian curation by Nina Tarr,
- Rafaël Rozendaal: Almost Nothing Hardly Anything, at Steve Turner, Mid-Wilshire.
Lenticular paintings & an interactive projection allowing viewers to experience all of the artist’s websites… always online here.
opening reception 6-8pm
thru Nov 29
- Cara Benedetto x Davida Nemeroff: The Pelvic Floor, at Young Art, Hollywood.
The NY artist & Night Gallery founder use the casino & the idea of the gamble as a springboard to frame the structure for their collaborative exhibition.
opening reception 7-10pm
thru Nov 29
- Day of the Dead, at Human Resources, Chinatown.
More ‘Romeroesque than the traditional Day of the Dead celebration,’ a live taping of experimental music & video curated by Obfuscated Records in collaboration with Experimental Half-Hour. Performances by Rubber (O) Cement (SF), Pulsating Cyst, Suffering Luna, & Bandito Overlord. With MC Host Adam Barnhardt, DJ Igor Amokian, & a raffle! Come in costume for FREE raffle tickets at the door!
// Sunday, Nov 2
- Charles Curtis performs Alvin Lucier, at MOCA Grand, DTLA.
Curtis performs the avant-garde composer, performer, & electro-acoustic pioneer’s Slices for Cello x Pre-Recorded Orchestra. Coincides with Andy Warhol: Shadows (thru Feb 2).
- Liminal Sunday, at Satellite Space, Santa Monica.
Works by Jason Matthew Lee, Andrea Longacre-White, Megan Plunkett, Sean Raspet, Jesse Stecklow & Harm van den Dorpel pop-up in the temporary platform located in an ISP office compound. Curated by Paulina Samborska.
opening reception 6-9 pm
thru Nov 30
// Wednesday, Nov 5
- The Art of the Empty Orchestra: Creativity in a Karaoke Culture, at USC Roski, DTLA.
Participatory karaoke, exhibition & discussion with New Sound Karaoke, Amy Von Harrington, Jibade-Khalil Huffman, Valerie Tevere & Angel Nevarez exploring karaoke as a technology, aesthetic, & collective cultural practice.
Free… but RSVP
opening event 7-11pm
- Stan VanDerBeek: Poemfield, at The Box, DTLA.
5 of 8 computer-animated films from the artist’s Poemfield series presented as large-scale projections— each exploring how the machine could be a medium for creative x physical freedom.
thru Nov 1
- Cayetano Ferrer: Composite Arcade, at Château Shatto, DTLA.
An ‘environment’ playing on ‘civic & fictional space,’ including Endless Columns, a column lit with flashing neon lights within a mirrored room, reflecting a sense of displaced infinity within a cavernous kaleidoscopic casino.
thru Nov 9
- Cory Arcangel: tl;dr, at Team (gallery, inc.), Venice.
Selected works by the NY artist, a leading purveyor (… & a personal favorite) of technology-based art. Inaugural gallery exhibition x Acangel’s LA debut!
thru Nov 9
- EUREKA & the BIOMASS, at 5 Car Garage, Santa Monica.
An exhibition x sci-fi performance series set in 2100 by Megan May Daalder— a self-professed ‘self-styled guinea pig’ using performance, video, & scientific curiosity to investigate life on Earth. RSVP for location.
open Thursdays & by appt.
thru Nov 10
—Follow us to receive an email when Weekly WOAH posts. Drop us a line to share your event.