// Thursday, Oct 23
- MFA Media Arts Fall exhibition: .CALM, at New Wight Gallery, Culver City / West LA.
Works by John Brumley, Aliah Magdalena Dark, Julieta Gil, Camella DaEun Kim, Jane Chang Mi, Miguel Nobrega, Kate Parsons, Saakshita Prabhakar, Alex Rickett & Daniel Schwarz.
opening reception 5-8pm
thru Oct 31
- SpectreFest: Metropolis (live score by Chrome Canyon), at Cinefamily, West Hollywood.
Live score to Fritz Lang’s tale of an expressionist tomorrowland. Co-presented by the Stanley Film Fest, a 4-day horror soiree at The Shining hotel. Plus, there’s an absinthe bar on the patio!
- Chasms / All Your Sisters / Mortal Bodies, at Complex, Glendale.
DJs Sarah Bernat x Sarah Toon. Visuals by Sporay (Experimental Half-Hour).
// Friday, Oct 24
- Mauve, at Secret Recipe, Silver Lake.
Works by Michael Henry Hayden, Daniel Lane & Dani Tull at the one-night only exhibition space in a repurposed garage.
opening x closing 7pm-1am
- Code X 2: I Am I Said, at Eastside International, Lincoln Heights.
Screening of new video works from LA artists united in their documentation of performance strategies.
- .NTER (a performance by God Doll), at Human Resources, Chinatown.
A 3D modeled projected universe transports viewers into another dimension in which the drag-clad artist is the lone inhabitant.
opening reception 8pm-12am
thru Sun Oct 26
- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (live score by Nora Keyes x Jimi Cabeza de Vaca), at hm157, Lincoln Heights.
…LA Drones after the show.
// Saturday, Oct 25
- David Lloyd: New Paintings, at Klowden Mann, Culver City.
New works from the LA artist synthesize formal abstraction x narrative irreverence.
opening reception 6-8pm
thru Jan 10
- Roland Wegerer: The White Digger, at Traction Arts, DTLA.
Ongoing screening launches in the video venue’s storefront window in the Arts District.
thru Nov 29
- Experimental Music Yearbook: issue 2014, at the wulf, DTLA.
Final EMY of 2014 with works by Olivia Block, James Saunders, Anne Guthrie x Billy Gomberg, John Lely, Matt Marble & Nomi Epstein (performed by local musicians).
- 2 LIVE ACID, at (the) Handbag Factory, DTLA.
Celebrate Everything x Darkmatter Soundsystem present a special showcase of electronic music feat: WMX, Kid606, Vytear, Baseck & SPECIAL GUEST!
// Sunday, Oct 26
- Echiko Ohira: Red, at Offramp Gallery, Pasadena.
Natural hybrids form from a myriad of paper layers in the artist’s debut solo show of large-scale sculptures.
opening reception 2-5pm
thru Nov 23
// Monday, Oct 27
- decolonizing the white box, at Human Resources, Chinatown.
Community forum moderated by Raquel Gutiérrez.
- ∆ PRISM PIPE ∆: Dog Is In The Machine, at pehrspace, Echo Park.
10th ed. of the monthly series, curated by The Current Sea x Screaming Claws. Glitch visuals in looping GIFs. Music from Brian Griffith, White Boy Scream & Evan Hemsley.
// Tuesday, Oct 28
- Names | Nephila | Sleepwalkers Local, at MATA, Mid-City.
Names (Gerritt Wittmer & Jesse Jackson) x Nephila (Shannon Kennedy) x Sleepwalkers Local (Grant Capes).
- Murder Ballads & Dark Songs Tribute Show, at the Echoplex, Echo Park.
Halloween turns the venue into a seated theater, with performances honoring the ‘greatest songs ever written about killers, death… & other savory doom-driven subjects.’
// Wednesday, Oct 29
- Madame Dracula’s Consensual Sex Dungeon, at The Dragonfly, Hollywood.
A melodic audiovisual monster mash with stimulating performances from Geneva Jacuzzi, Drab Majesty, Pleasures & More Ephemerol.
- Tobias Madison: Deficiency Depletion, at Freedman Fitzpatrick, Hollywood.
A 2-part exhibition confronting 2 modes of circulation: the linearity of going some place, & the circularity of staying in one place.
thru Oct 25
- Pascual Sisto: The Sum Over Histories, at Smart Objects, Echo Park.
New works in sculplture, neon, & video based on drawings of Nobel Prize winning author Richard Feynman.
gallery hours Fri x Sat 2-6pm | thru Oct 26
- 43° 42′ 46.4148’’ N, 79° 20′ 30.5988’’ W) By Calvin Marcus, at Public Fiction, Eagle Rock.
A proposal for hypothetical spaces blurring lines between artwork x exhibition, artist x curator, & the monumental x un-monumental. Feat: Edgar Bryan, Andrew Cannon, Michael Dopp, Samantha Gregg, Orr Herz, Ravi Jackson & Jane Levy.
nighttime hours x gatherings | thru Oct 28
- Better Climate Options, at Downtown Photoroom, DTLA.
New works by Débora Delmar & Carson Fisk-Vittori examine ideas of potential through the latent & ubiquitous nature of the photographic image.
thru Nov 1
- In Search of Turrell, at JAUS, Santa Monica.
Group exhibition exploring the Dutch seacoast through the eyes of 11 artists, commencing in the dunes of Scheveningen & culminating in Kijkduin at James Turrell’s land artwork Celestial Vault.
thru Nov 2
—Follow us to receive an email when Weekly WOAH posts. Drop us a line to share your event.